How I dealt with low self esteem?


Yesterday we had a badminton selection. The deal was we had to win three matches out of five to get selected.
Long story short, I got selected. But while coming back home, I didn't feel like I won fair and square.
There was glaring from the sun on one side of the court. Luckily I wasn't on that side.
So I felt I won by that advantage. I felt other participants deserved more than me.


Would you call this low self-esteem or low self-confidence? IDK.


But that had motivated me to write about self-esteem issues.
While dealing with self-esteem issues, there is no one-way route. Each people have different coping mechanisms depending on their upbringing.


I always thought not to feel confident about my skills because it symbolizes arrogance or self-boasting.
I guess that's for anybody in India. Nobody appreciates confidence because it intimidates them. It scares them.


If a person is confident, we use all our force to bring them down.
Low self-esteem comes from a place because we focus on things not achieved by ourselves. But when you see yourself from a third person without any judgment, you realize that you are as complete as you are when you can connect with yourself.


You might have poor self-esteem because of your parents, siblings, teachers, friends, or boyfriend.
But at the end of the day, you have to heal yourself.
We always focus on things not accomplished when there are a million things that we have achieved.
For example, I write these blogs. I share my experience with you. Even though 100 great comments encourage me, my mind keeps telling me that you haven't accomplished this and THAT.
I learned to change my perspective.


We always knew Ramayanam from Rama's vision. What if it was from the point of view of Ravana? It will completely change our perspective about Rama.
What I learned (am still learning) which helped me build my self-esteem?
Here are a few things that helped me feel confident:


1. Creating your version of happiness:
Each one has different versions of happiness. For example, your parents want you to be happy. But they have a different version of happiness. For them having a safe, secure job is happiness. The ability to go on a vacation is happiness. Living in your own house is happy.
They make you choose doctor, engineering or commerce because (for them) it will give you the things that they consider as happiness.
But it is your responsibility to create your happiness. Don't force that on others.


2. There is no "happy ever after":
There is always this goal that once I achieve this, I will be happy.
"Once I have money, I will get happy."
"Once I get a fit body, I will be happy."
"Once I have a dream partner, I will be happy."
In all these cases, you are searching for happiness outside. It is like losing the key in the dark and searching in light because you have clarity there.
 Once you achieve these goals, there will still be problems in your life. You have to keep pushing through the hurdles to have a better tomorrow.
You have to keep learning and adapting to keep improving. Today you are a learner and master of your own life.
Accepting your flaws is one of the lessons in the journey of self-love.


3. Finding gratitude in your everyday life:
Finding gratitude in everyday situations changes your perspective about life.
If you didn't win the competition, be grateful that you can learn from your mistakes, get to learn from others, get a new experience.
Developing a positive mindset:
"You are the controller of your thoughts. You can release negative thoughts and replace them with positive thoughts."
The biggest thing I will always be grateful for when I join college. I realized that many students had to work to support their families. I am fortunate to work for myself. I can take risks to achieve my dream job.
I am not rich. But, I get food daily( even go out to restaurants sometimes.)
That was an eye-opener for me. The college had made me realize the privileges I have. I will forever be grateful for that.



Comments

Popular Posts