"I felt weak doing even the simplest task" What did I do about it?


It's a bit sad that our physical activity keeps on decreasing with the increase in age

We used to sleep all the time as a baby,

Then we became (quite) active playing and walking around

Then came school, where we sat still for 7-8 hours(once again). But we roamed around for playing, restroom, and canteen trips(I would say it accounts for 30 to 40 percent physical activity)

Then came college. 

In my case, I would say I was most active in college because I used to travel by bus or cycle(my college was VERY near to me). 

PS: This might be different for the present generation.

 HECK! They know about tech more than I will ever know in my entire life. I am talking like I am 40.

Now I am working.

 I sit for like 8 hours in the same place.

Somewhat it felt comfortable because it was a rolling chair.

 I would stretch my back which made it pretty comfortable to sit for 8 hours. (Maybe the chair is the trick)

This is my view in morning. Empty offices are fun

The part I realized, "Oh shit," is when I got so tired of simple things. Walk the stairs or walk to catch a bus. 

Everything made me so tired at the end of the day.

These activities are just basic things. I couldn't even do that. 

That's when I realized I had to do something about it.

I am not going to advise hitting the gym. It's not feasible for everyone. Nor does everyone has the interest too?

The research was done on people where they analyzed that people who sat for more than 8 hrs have a risk of death similar to people who are obese and smoke.

Maybe that's why they say, "Sitting is the new smoking."

Have you noticed people who sit for a long period of time put on fat especially in mid region of body(stomach)

 

Also, sitting for too long reduces metabolism, which causes weight gain(calories burnt are less than calories consumed) 

That doesn't mean consuming less food

Less food causes tiredness which also impacts your work productivity.

Since there is no physical exercise, it causes a risk of cardiovascular diseases.

Plus, I would have mentioned in my previous blog how reduced sunlight exposure during the day leads to less sleep quality

Sitting for too long would also lead to back problems because we often sit in a bad posture(I have noticed myself sloughing during work when I am bored or tired)

People who sit for long hours also get anxiety(but it need not be due to sitting or lack of physical activity. It can also be due to lack of sun exposure, poor sleep, or exposure to blue screen)

So what can we do?

The obvious answer is to increase physical activity

That doesn't mean joining a gym

Always remember. Before starting a habit, it should start small to make it sustainable.

How come the actor is not sweaty?

First, build a habit of showing up to the physical activity.

You can begin by walking outside for some time after lunch.

Take a short walk after dinner

or take often trips to drink water(beware of the boss watching you take a lot of breaks)

You get the gist. Find ways to increase your physical activity.

After building the habit of showing up, start doing a physical activity that is slight intensive(example: body-weight exercises)

Then slowly build up the intensity


I can't give you more tips. As I said earlier, I am ongoing progress in finding new habits.

The above habits I follow. 

I found that it helped me feel better (I do a physical activity because it makes me happy)

Doing a physical activity that makes you happy is what I would recommend. You can't lift weights for a lasting period (and make it a habit) just because some influencer told you about it, but you hate it.

You can even call your friend to accompany you.

Or watch Youtube or a series and commit yourself to doing a physical activity till you finish off one episode.

If I find any more tips which are helpful, I will update this blog

Till then, start small habits for better health 

 

Do you have any more tips other than this? I would love to incorporate in my life.

Comments

Popular Posts